This is part two in a series of articles about Creating a Blog for Fun and Profit. In this article , we will look at choosing a theme and topics for your blog.
An appropriate theme is essential to attracting and retaining new readership. Choosing the right one for your blog can be difficult.
To begin, ask yourself the following questions: Who is my target audience? What do I want to share with them? Where else can they get this information?
Next, think about the blogs and websites you admire. What makes them successful? How are they unique? What keeps you coming back?
- TechCrunch is a “weblog dedicated to obsessively profiling and reviewing new Internet products and companies.”
- LifeHacker is a “blog that features tips, shortcuts, and downloads that help you get things done smarter and more efficiently.”
- Gizmodo is a “blog with the sole purpose of writing about tech and gadgets as fast as possible.”
- Smashing Magazine “delivers useful and innovative information for designers and web-developers.”
A List Apart “explores the design, development, and meaning of web content, with a special focus on web standards and best practices.”
Each of these websites has a technological focus, but they differ in their approach and core subject matter.
Finally, consider the purpose of your blog. What is it you ultimately wish to gain from your writing and publishing?
Finding purpose in your writing
Bloggers fall into 3 distinct categories:
- Those wishing to strike Internet gold
- Those with a passion for or knowledge about a given subject
- Those writing about themselves or their business
Blogging as a gateway to fame and riches
As in any good business, blogging for profit requires a careful and well-planned strategy. High-traffic websites with an active community have proven the most attractive to advertisers.
When choosing a theme for your website, consider which topics are most likely to result in viral distribution, repeat visitors, sponsorship opportunities, and community interaction.
Blogging as an outlet for passionate discourse
Genuine passion is evident in both the quality of a blog’s content and the commentary it inspires.
One of the most effective ways to increase your website’s visibility is to focus on thoughtful, quality content. Interact with your visitors and the community at large, and people will see your website as an essential destination.
Blogging about you or your business
Blogs with an individual or business focus tend to target friends, family, business associates, and potential partners. Because of this, the implied theme of the website is you.
Maintain a loose structure, generate new and interesting content, and your visitors will keep coming back.
That’s all for now. Stay tuned to next time as we tackle Part 3: Finding the right name